Rambler Media, the Russian internet service and media company operating the Rambler portal, has reported its consolidated interim financial results for the six months ended June 30, 2008. Below are Rambler’s user statistics, financial highlights and key deals.
In July 2008, Rambler agreed to sell a 50.1% stake in contextual ad firm Begun to Google for $70.1 million. In addition, the company agreed to enhance searches made on Rambler by Google and display Google ads alongside its natural search results. According to business newspaper Vedomosti, Rambler will release new design of its homepage that will include Google search in October 2008. Rambler will also add services from other online content providers to its homepage.
- 37.3 million average monthly unique users in 1H 2008, up 30% from 1H 2007.
- 2.7 billion average monthly page-views, up 17%
- 1.7 billion searches in 1H 2008 or 283 million average monthly searches, up 21%.
- Total revenues of $51.7 million in 1H 2008, up 152% from 1H 2007, including:
- like-for-like revenues of $35.4 million, up 73%,
- paid search – $6.9 million, up 60%,
- display ads – $21.7 million, up 94%,
- others – $6.8 million.
- revenues from Begun’s partner network of $16.3 million.
- EBITDA of $8.9 million with EBITDA margin of 17%.
- Operating loss of $1.5 million.
- Cash balance of $26.1 million at June 30, 2008 (excluding Begun).
Key deals and events:
- Acquired remaining 49% stake in comparison shopping search engine Price.ru for $4.0 million in July 2008.
- Sold 51% stake in online display ad agency Index20 to IMHO VI (Video International Group) for $145 thousand in April 2008.
- Signed new partnership deals with ICQ for instant messaging, blinkx for video search, and IMHO VI for selling display ads.
- Named title sponsor of the Russian Football Cup in April 2008.
The Vedomosti newspaper has found out that Rambler aims to reach 10 million daily users, up from 2.7 million in July 2008.